Do you ever see a quote on Facebook or Instagram, or really anywhere, that just speaks to you? You think, “Ain’t that the truth!” I’m always struck by how these little a-ha lines can invariably be traced back to the wisdom of the Bible. Solomon was right: there is nothing new under the sun! Try to find one that isn’t at least implied in Scripture. I bet you can’t.
This morning I was folding laundry and came across this awesome shirt. The five pillars of Coach Tony Bennett’s basketball team: Thankfulness, Humility, Passion, Unity, and Servanthood. What great principles to live by! What a perfect way to summarize the admirable goals of Bennett’s team. But aren’t these great pillars for life, too?
- “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
- “The feeling of [true] joy begins in the action of thanksgiving.” Ann Voskamp
- “Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.” Romans 12:3
- “True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.” Rick Warren
- “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:23-24
- “If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful after all.” Michelangelo
- “Maybe it’s my fault. Maybe I led you to believe it was easy when it wasn’t. Maybe I made you think my highlights started at the free throw line, and not in the gym. Maybe I made you think that every shot I took was a game winner. That my game was built on flash, and not fire. Maybe it’s my fault that you didn’t see that failure gave me strength; that my pain was my motivation. Maybe I led you to believe that basketball was a God given gift, and not something I worked for every single day of my life. Maybe I destroyed the game. Or maybe you’re just making excuses.” Michael Jordan
- “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” Ephesians 4:2-3
- “To me, teamwork is the beauty of our sport, where you have five acting as one. You become selfless.” Mike Krzyzewski
- “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10
- “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” -Winston Churchill
Praying this morning that I’ll live by these pillars, teach them to my sons, and give God all the glory. And hey, if one of my sons ends up playing at UVa for Coach Bennett then I’m good with that too. Real good. Go HOOS!
Love to YOU,